News and comment
The external links on this page will take you to other sites which are not connected to the regulated site of . Neither nor
Welcome to your on-line financial newsletter. This service is regularly updated to bring you news of important developments in financial matters.
Citywire Investment News
- Old Mutual?s Nickols: Undiscriminating sellers are hurting small-caps
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:01:25 +0100
Dan Nickols, manager of the Old Mutual UK Smaller Companies fund, has blamed small-cap tourists for the sector?s recent weakness.
- Legg Mason to buy Martin Currie
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:59:56 +0100
Legg Mason has bought Martin Currie to add to its stable of boutiques.
- Brown Shipley to overhaul fund range
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:57:43 +0100
Brown Shipley is planning to revamp its suite of funds later this year in a process that will include the launch of two new products.
- AA-rated Lofthouse: 'maverick' tobacco settlements won't stop MA
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:51:18 +0100
Henderson International Income trust manager Ben Lofthouse shares his thoughts on recent developments in the tobacco sector in this video.
Citywire Money, Tax and Property
- How to prevent a midlife mortgage crisis
Wed, 16 Jul 2014 11:31:28 +0100
As lenders clamp down on affordability, borrowers in their 40s and 50s are finding it harder to secure a mortgage.
- Borrowers may have to repay mortgages with pensions
Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:00:00 +0100
Interest-only borrowers could be forced to use their pensions to pay their home loans, Age UK has warned.
- Homeowners could buy more state pension
Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:57:48 +0100
Health minister Paul Burstow says pensioners should be allowed to use the equity in their homes to buy more state pension.
- Could a home 'equity bank' help boost pensions?
Fri, 13 Jun 2014 09:00:00 +0100
A think-tank has urged the government to set up a state-backed equity release scheme to enable more pensioners to tap into the value of their homes.
- Martin Currie fills a 'gap' as it falls to Legg Mason
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:41:09 +0100
Martin Currie, the loss-making Edinburgh-based fund manager, has agreed to be bought by US investment giant Legg Mason.
- Portfolios: the battle between income and total return
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:49:01 +0100
Experts debate what matters most when designing investment portfolios: income or total return?
- Diary of a Dumb Investor: I'm hanging on to Russia
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:07:42 +0100
My Russia investment trust has fallen after a momentous week, but I'm going to hold steady.
- Slump in Kingfisher shares weighs on FTSE
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:01:04 +0100
BQ owner falls 7.5% on disappointing sales. FTSE flat as investor caution prevails amid geopolitical tension.
BBC Business News
- Obama urges action over tax scheme
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 00:03:13 GMT
US President Barack Obama has urges lawmakers to end a tax loophole that allows US companies to avoid paying US corporate taxes.
- Business gurus answer your questions
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 23:13:05 GMT
Three business investors answer our readers' questions about how they judge whether or not to invest in a business venture.
- Winners and losers from a strong pound
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 23:12:48 GMT
Why the ever rising pound is not all good news
- Senegal?s cattle rustlers challenged
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 23:11:56 GMT
Squaring up to Senegal's cattle rustlers
- 'Fluffy' dinosaurs were widespread
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 01:19:11 GMT
A discovery of 150 million year old fossils in Siberia indicates that feathers were much more widespread among dinosaurs than previously thought.
- Wildlife loss link to child slavery
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 01:17:53 GMT
New research suggests that the global reduction in wildlife is connected to an increase in human trafficking and child slavery.
- Charges over Mexico children's home
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 01:15:20 GMT
A Mexican federal judge charges six employees of a children's home at the heart of an abuse scandal in the city of Zamora.
- 'Disobedient objects' map protests
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 01:05:16 GMT
How crockery changed the world